LIST: Top Social Media Sites for Marketers – Plus Tools & References
A List and Some Tools of Top Social Media Sites for Marketers
It seems today that everyone is on some kind of social media platform and a personal computer and web access is vital to connect to the right people, businesses and industries and job hunting.
If you’re looking to start a career within social media marketing you need to make sure you’re being seen for the right reasons. While the vast amount of competition may make it harder to get your foot in the door, the extent of exposure you can get just by using social media platforms the right way can make a lot of difference.
Back in the day, social media sites were full of your more youthful time spent running around in the park on a summers day or getting drunk dressed as a fairy on your university pub crawl. Your online history is not as hidden as you may like, and being on an open social media platform, it is important to censor the image you convey and limit exposure of yourself. Without adding restrictions too tightly, you still want to be seen of course, you can still control the impression a Google search of your name will give.
The first part is showing your activity within social media itself. If you’re going to want to make a career in this industry, you need to show you understand its full potential and that you stand out from the average Facebook user who only wants to connect to high school friends from back in ’85. You don’t need to come across as a tech-whizz on the topic, but you should be passionate about being involved in social media and become an avid member on many sites and forums.
Here is a quick list of 15 social media sites you should be aware of. While it’s not necessary to be active in every single one, you should have profiles in the majority. Sites that allow integration with other platforms such as Instagram are a good way of managing multiple accounts simultaneously.
List of social media sites to be on:
(note: familiarize yourself with Twitter’s new video ap, Vine – marketers are moving there rapidly to maximize reach)
7. Blogging platform sites (wordpress, blogger)
10. Flicker (their brand is “Flickr”)
Real-time interactions with large cooperate companies is made simpler due to the fact that you can find CEOs and chief directors among these sites too. But be sure to make the right impression.Presentation is everything with social profiles. Be different and creative in your approach. Creating a personal blog with the option to subscribe and have followers allows your audience to maintain constant updates from you and you aren’t met with the need to immediately bombard them with all the information you have at once.
An internship is generally the first step in getting the position you want. If you’re going down this route a quick search engine entry for ‘social media internships’ returns plenty of recruiter sites and job opportunities available. Create accounts with these companies to keep onto of the current job situations and be notified of new opportunities.
Social Media companies look for people that understand the industry. Being able to brand yourself without sounding pretentious is much easier that it sounds; most people are doing it without even realising. Overall, you want to give the impression that you can handle your online-self professionally, especially in personal networks.
Now, to go a little deeper. It certainly feels as if there are millions of social media platforms out there. And there are a lot. Firms that hire social media marketers or social media managers expect – and demand – that the candidate have a vast knowledge of social media platforms.
For social media marketing, it is key to meet a customer or audience right WHERE THEY ARE! Where they frequent and where they go. So, that requires knowledge of sites that everyone else may not be on. It means sites that are not always being talked about. To increase your value exponentially, here are other sites to become adept at using:
1. Living Social
3. Myspace (yes, people are still there!)
12. Badoo (multi-lingual)
13. BlackPlanet.com (African American Professionals – Powerful reach)
15. cafemom.com (where moms meet – huge target audience)
16. Netlog (focus: young people in Europe)
21. What are some other sites that you know? List them in the comments!
Again, the brand you may be working for may not even be on those or actively look at them. But imagine the power of reach you bring – just in ideas alone – when you can bring knowledge of these platforms to the table.
On to the tools. Knowing all of the sites are just the beginning. Here are powerful sites that are tools in helping you post and measure what is going on with each of your chosen social media utilities. Marketers must know these and how to use them:
3. Tweetchat.com (Twitter seems to be giving the ax to this 3rd party ap – but know it until then and other Twitter chat platforms available)
4. Percolate.com (they are turning brands into content curators
5. HowSocialable (measuring a brand’s real reach)
7. Postling.com (social media tools for small business)
8. Amplicate.com (find out the brands people are interacting with/really following on social media)
13. Social Mention
14. Bottlenose (a powerful way to surf content)
15. TabJuice (e-commerce for facebook)
16. Follower Wonk (search Twitter bios)
17. Klout (a social media scoring site – positive and negative reviews, but a firm looking to hire someone in social media marketing will most likely look at an individual’s klout score)
18. EmpireAvenue (a social media game, of sorts, but powerful reach opportunity with their “missions” feature)
19. Triberr.com (communities sharing each other’s blog posts on Twitter and Linkedin – great reach potential)
23. What are some other tools you know? Please list them in the comments.
Of course, as with the social media platforms themselves, we cannot go into detail on each of the tools. What we want to do here is to get you a quicklist for reference going so you can start exploring.
Finally, you need to be updated. You need the news on social media. Here are the top sites you need to bookmark for social media articles and news:
1. LIST My Social Media (of course)
8. Smartbrief for Social Media
9. Altimeter Group
10. Social Media Examiner
14. Big name blogs. Linkedin, facebook, Twitter, Google – all have blogs that you can follow.
15. What are your favorite social media news and resources sites? Let us know in the comments.
You are off to a great start with these. Good luck!